Friday, July 23, 2010

The Bible is just fiction

So, I'm going to get right back into critical mode. I know I've based a large portion of my last post on the Bible, and many people are now asking - How do we know that the Bible is real? There are so many discrepancies in the Bible, so many things left unproved. And who, really, was there to record so much of the Bible as we know it today? Indeed, who was there in the beginning, in the garden of Eden (except for Adam and Eve, of course), and who was there (who could write on something that survived in the flood) to see Noah give birth to a son at 500 years?

I chanced upon this video where Ricky Gervais talks about creationism:



I can't deny that I had a good laugh. It's not the points that he brings up - it's the way he brings it up. Ever so subtle, so accommodating, yet filled with sheer disbelief. Having been introduced to Genesis at a very young age (where fantasy could be real, and that the Bible is fact), I never once thought how unbelievable it might sound to a person reading it for the first time.

Many long discussions that I've had with my Christian friends over topics on "how do we know that the Bible is true" have ended up with "that's where faith comes in". But that's simply not the answer I'm seeking. There's faith - then there's blind faith. If God is all powerful, I'm sure convincing me won't be an impossible task :P I just hope that he does it in this lifetime!

"Ask and it will be given unto you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be open unto you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." -- Luke 11:9-10, similar verses in Matt 7:7, Matt 18:19, Matt 21:22, Mark 11:24, John 14:13, John 15:7, John 15:16, John 16:23, James 1:5, 1 John 3:22, 1 John 5:14. (Full audio verses have been included below as well)



Is this promise, emphasized so many times in the Bible by so many people, just another lie?

Somehow, I don't want to believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails