Thursday, August 12, 2010

Addicted to Worship

One blogger whom I regularly follow (apart from Julie Ferwerda) is Idle musings of a bookseller. Like Julie, he has snippets of his life integrated into his posts, while his ‘idle musings’ take on interesting perspectives that are usually thought-provoking.
One of
his latest posts jumped out at me today.
Too many people are addicted to the emotional high they get from "worship" times, but when the high is over, they are spiritually adrift.
To me, that statement couldn’t be more true. I guiltily remember times when I’ve looked forward to church for its worship and mingling sessions with friends, yet dreaded the 30 minute to 1 hour sermon where I would fight to keep my eyelids from drooping. As an excuse for my sleeping sessions, I’d even attribute it to the ‘subliminal learning of God’s Word’!

Is worship just a matter of going to church, raising our hands to sing with all our heart for 15-30 minutes, then reverting back to our old self the moment it’s over? What are we looking for in our Christian lives anyway? Is it the friendship, the comfort it provides, the overwhelming feelings of love and passion during the moments where you ‘connect’ with God? Or are we looking to build a steady relationship with God?

What do you think?

When the passion fades and the raging fire within you begins to flicker, will you let it die or will you cultivate it into a quiet, beautiful, steady flame?



When the music fades and all is stripped away
And I simply come
Longing just to bring something that’s of worth
That will bless Your heart

King of endless worth
No one could express how much you deserve
Though I’m weak and poor all I have is yours
Every single breath

I’ll bring You more than a song
For a song in itself is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear – You’re looking into my heart

I’m coming back to the heart of worship
And it’s all about You
It’s all about You, Jesus
I’m sorry, Lord, for the things I’ve made it
When it’s all about You
All about You, Jesus


Can we really just make it all about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails